Back End (Elixir) / Integrations Engineer
Meet Instinct 👋
Instinct Science is a growing Philadelphia-based animal health company working on a unique technology solution for state-of-the-art veterinary hospitals.
We’re seeking an experienced Back End / Integrations Engineer who is looking for a new career opportunity to be the next member of our growing 30-person team. The ideal candidate is efficient, creative, detail-oriented, and motivated to work on challenging yet meaningful work that has the potential to shape an entire profession.
The Instinct team is fully distributed, thus geographic location isn’t important as long as you can overlap with our regular business hours (Mon-Fri 8-5 ET).
Position Summary 🐱💻
You will be instrumental in creating connections to 3rd party systems, contributing to our backend application, developing internal tools and in shaping our data models. Your contributions and leadership will greatly influence the usability and usefulness of the product.
Day-to-day work will consist of managing partner relationships, designing, building, documenting and troubleshooting interfaces to 3rd party software. Additionally, you will be building new features, troubleshooting bugs, planning future dev work, reviewing teammate’s PRs, and taking ownership for our growing back-end application. You will be part of a close-knit team that is working hard for a better product each day.
A Sneak Peek into a Role at Instinct 🔭
The Instinct team consists of a unique mix of veterinary and technology experts who offer years of experience developing and commercializing point-of-care software for the veterinary industry.
We foster a diverse, inclusive, transparent, and fun work environment. As a fully distributed team, we value teammates with strong communication and organizational skills. We’re building a company that reflects our care for every individual, treating each team member well by going out of our way to help one another in the short-term and pushing for growth in the long-term.
While building out our young platform, your contributions will shape products that power the diagnostic and treatment workflows for some of the most advanced veterinary hospitals on the planet.
We’re Looking for Someone With ⚡
* At least 3 years of experience building back-end applications
* Usage of Elixir and/or Erlang in production
* Deep knowledge of API designs
* Working knowledge of networking protocols and data interchange formats (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SOAP, JSON, XML)
* Working knowledge of relational databases
* A high bar for code quality with belief in automated testing
* Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple simultaneous engagements
* Strong problem solving and analytical skills with experience resolving problems efficiently
* A desire to mentor and support a team of fellow developers
* Ability to think through challenges and develop features that solve them elegantly
* Ability to challenge and improve our current architecture
* Excitement for building critical integrations for veterinary hospitals
Bonus Experience 💡
* Previous remote engineer position, preferably as part of a small team
* Previous work on health care, medical records, veterinary, or enterprise software
* Knowledge of HL7
* Managing business relationships
Tech at Instinct 👨💻
* Elixir, Phoenix, Absinthe (GraphQL)
* PostgreSQL, Redis
* Cypress, Jest, React Testing Library
* Papertrail, Sentry, Prometheus, Grafana
* Github, Jira, Slack
Salary and Benefits Highlights 🌞
* We offer a supportive, caring, and rewarding work environment
* We pay our team well (based on experience)
* We give our team owner-like flexibility over work and time off
* We offer health, vision, dental insurance and 401K
* We offer a generous home office and professional development stipend
* We provide all-expense-paid travel to hospitals and our annual retreat
Instinct Science is a greater Philadelphia-based animal health company that helps the world’s state-of-the-art veterinary practices streamline their care through medically-driven invoicing and thoughtful automation. Find out more at www.instinct.vet.
Our project is supported by the Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern PA, an initiative of the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development funded by the Ben Franklin Technology Development Authority.
Instinct is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a work environment free from harassment or discrimination in any form. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, ancestry, veteran, or disability status.